Saturday, September 14, 2013

Intention: Attend Toastmasters


I generally don't make quick decisions. Early in the millenium, there was a Toastmasters group at my workplace. I thought about attending, and made a million excuses why I was too busy to check out their meetings. I successfully avoided Toastmasters until Thursday, September 12, 2013. Not bad as procrastination goes.

You see - I already knew it all. I taught facilitators how to facilitate groups. I spoke up every week at leadership team meeting. I was confident and competent with public speaking. Who needed Toastmasters? The very name itself conjured an image of my inebriated uncle raising a half-full glass of some suspiciously clear liquid while blustering and slurring his words at my cousin Frankie's wedding.

Despite my false bravado, even when broadcasting live on the radio I often feel a knot in my stomach when the need arises to speak spontaneously. After changing jobs, I've fallen out of practice with public speaking and giving presentations. This week I set my intention to attend the Kearsarge Toastmasters group & loved every minute of it. I can't wait for the next meeting! You can learn more about Toastmasters here: toastmasters.org


This blog is a catalyst for setting goals and intentions and following through with them. You're invited to join me in posting your intentions for the week! Let's support one another in creating the lives we want.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I love the idea of this blog. I've been toying with the idea of going to Toastmasters, too. My sister is a big fan of it.

    ReplyDelete